Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Primary Residence-Capital Gain Exclusion

Generally, the home one lives in most of the time is one’s principal residence; it can be a house, houseboat, mobile home, cooperative apartment, or condominium.
In order to exclude gain on the sale of a home, a taxpayer generally must have owned and lived in the property as his or her main home for at least two years during the
five-year period ending on the date of sale. The maximum gain that can be excluded is $250,000 for individuals and $500,000 for married couples filing jointly.

No comments:

Post a Comment