Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Individual Retirement Account (IRA )

You may contribute up to $5,000 to fund a traditional or Roth IRA in 2009. Individuals age 50 or older by the end of 2009 can make an additional catch-up contribution of $1,000. If your spouse does not work for compensation, you can contribute to either a traditional IRA or Roth IRA for your spouse based on your own earnings, with the same dollar

limits applying. However, the maximum aggregate that can be contributed to a Roth IRA is reduced by contributions made to other IRAs. Traditional IRA contributions may be deductible depending on your modified AGI and whether you or your spouse (if filing jointly) is covered by an employer-sponsored retirement plan. Roth IRA contributions are not deductible, but the earnings accumulate tax deferred and may be withdrawn tax free if you meet the qualified distribution requirements.

For 2009, eligibility to contribute to a Roth IRA is phased out as modified AGI rises from $105,000 to $120,000 if single, head of household or married filing separately and not living with spouse at any time in 2009; and $166,000 to $176,000 if married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er). Married taxpayers who file separately and lived with a spouse at any time in 2009 cannot contribute to a Roth IRA if their income is $10,000 or more. Qualified dividend income from a domestic or qualified foreign company is taxed at a top rate of 15% (zero for taxpayers in the 10% or 15% tax brackets in 2009).

No comments:

Post a Comment